Garden

How Often Should I Shock My Pool

As a pool owner, you have a lot of responsibilities to deal with as the pool’s surface and water need to be properly taken care of for the pool to be safe to swim in. For some this is a real downer as there is the common misconception that the pool is all fun and games, people forgetting about the maintenance aspect sometimes.

On roboticpoolcleaner.reviews, you can find the top of the line robotic pool cleaners that you can use to keep the pool clean and safe to swim in, these robotic devices being able to effectively handle cleaning the pool without requiring you to interfere in any way. But a pool cleaner isn’t all that you need as maintenance work is still required with the pool, the maintenance job that we’re referring to being to shock the pool. Continue to read this article to learn more about the shocking procedure and how often it should be done.

What Does Pool Shocking Consist Of?

Pool shocking is the procedure through which you destroy any bacteria and contaminants that reside in the pool’s water. The goal of the procedure is to raise the chlorine levels until you completely destroy algae and bacteria growth, thus guaranteeing that the pool safe to use. There are two methods that you can use to shock the pool, more precisely through chlorine shock and through non-chlorine shock.

    • Chlorine Shock

With this method of pool shock, you raise the chlorine levels high enough for all the contaminants in the water to be destroyed. During this type of shock, the chlorine level of the water should rise to approximately 10 PPM. The only downside to this procedure is the fact that it takes a lot of time until the chlorine drops down to normal, safe levels, more precisely at around 3-4 PPM. Only when the chlorine level of the water reaches this ppm rating can you swim in the pool again.

    • Non-Chlorine Shock

The non-chlorine treatment usually involves the use of potassium mono persulfate, a chemical that is capable of oxidizing the contaminants found in the pool’s water. Unfortunately, there’s a major downside to this pool shock treatment as it doesn’t actually kill the bacteria in the water. On the other hand, it takes a lot less time until you can use the pool again if you use this treatment, being able to swim after only 15 minutes following the shock treatment.

Why Shocking the Pool is Mandatory

For you to better understand why this is such an important procedure that you can’t skip on, you need to know why it’s necessary. When you or anyone else enters the pool, you introduce organic and inorganic contaminants into the water, contaminants such as saliva, skin cells, sweat, body lotion, and so on. Of course, this doesn’t mean that people are the only ones who cause the pool’s water to become contaminated as nature plays a major role as well, the leaves and the dirt that enter the pool when the wind blows or when it rains making the water unsafe to swim in.

As these contaminants start to live in the water, they become a food source for bigger health threats, more precisely bacteria and algae. This is the reason why sanitizers are used to shock the pool, being the only chemical solutions capable of ridding the water of the dangerous pollutants. By keeping the pool at the proper chemical balance, a fact that you can check by testing the water’s chlorine levels once per week, you ensure that the pool provides a safe and healthy swimming environment for you and your loved ones to enjoy.

When You Should Shock the Pool

Although it might sound contradictory at first, there is the possibility that you might not have to shock the pool at all. Of course, for this to happen, you have to practice good water care at all times. However, seeing how this is extremely difficult, even with the help of a robot pool cleaner being almost impossible for the chlorine levels of the water to not stray from the safe levels, it’s best to test the chemical levels of the water once per week to make sure that everything is alright.

A general schedule that you can follow is to shock the pool after the winter months as dirt, bacteria, and contaminants have probably made an appearance in the water, and to shock it regularly during the summer months when the pool is used intensely. Also, you should shock the pool after a heavy rain or a windstorm as dirt and other unwanted guests have probably entered the water, and after a water change to ensure that the chlorine levels are in check.

By shocking the pool as often as we advised you to, you ensure that the water will remain clear and clean, not presenting any danger to your health to swim in it. Just make sure to regularly check the chlorine levels of the water, repeating this checkup once every week so that you know for sure whether a shock treatment is needed or not. This way, algae and other unpleasant guests won’t be able to make an appearance.